Skip to main content

more options

Prof. John Teach has penalized you for academic misconduct
—what is that and what can you do about it?

The Code of Academic Integrity explicitly addresses this issue of academic misconduct.

Academic misconduct is any activity that disturbs the normal course of operations of the course—for example, in the classroom (disruptive behavior) or in an exam (disturbing others with loud talk).

Academic misconduct is not a violation of academic integrity.

Prof. Teach may impose a grade penalty for anything that he considers academic misconduct. No hearing of any kind is required, but Prof. Teach must promptly notify you of the reason for the charge and the grade penalty he is imposing. He will not notify the AIHB of his action, and he cannot ask the AIHB to review the case.

Can you appeal this charge of academic misconduct?

You can appeal a finding of academic misconduct by contacting the AIHB chair of Prof. Teach's college. But before you consider doing so, it is best to meet with Prof. Teach to discuss the issue.

If the result of the discussion with Prof. Teach is not satisfactory to you, you may appeal. You will have to argue to the AIHB that the charge of academic misconduct is arbitrary and capricious or that the penalty imposed is excessive or inappropriate. The Code of Academic Integrity states, "'Arbitrary and capricious' describes actions that have no sound basis in law, fact, or reason or are grounded solely in bad faith or personal desires. A determination is arbitrary and capricious only if it is one no reasonable mind could reach." Basically, you will have to argue that Prof. Teach is being unreasonable.

We suggest that you read the discussion of appealing to the AIHB. However, that discussion is aimed more at appeals of findings of guilt and penalties for violations of academic integrity, which are more serious.